Sheffield Park Academy Attendance Expectations
At Sheffield Park Academy we give the achievement of good attendance and punctuality high priority. Students who do not attend school cannot take advantage of educational opportunities and rarely achieve their potential. We expect every student to achieve 100% attendance during an academic year.
Every child has a right to access the education to which they are entitled. Parents and teachers share the responsibility for ensuring that attendance rates at Sheffield Park Academy are maximised and that rates of unjustified and unauthorised absenteeism are kept to a minimum
Absence through illness/unforeseen circumstances:-
All parents are expected to inform the Academy each day their child is absent before 10am.
Attendance and the Law
As a parent, you have a legal responsibility to make sure that your child gets a full time education between the ages of 5 and 16.
- You can be fined up to £2,500 or imprisoned if your child has a poor attendance record.
- You could be given a Parenting order, which means you will have to attend a parenting class.
- You may be issued with a Penalty Notice of £120.00 (£60 if paid within 21 days).
- If your child does not attend regularly, an Attendance Officer will visit you to discuss the problem, they are there to help you.
- Parents do not have the right to take their child out of school for holidays during term time.
Did you know
- 90% attendance means the equivalent of missing 4 whole weeks in one school year.
- Over 5 years this is the equivalent of missing HALF a school year.
- Missing just 17 days in one year can mean dropping a full grade at GCSE.
- Only 10% of persistent truants achieve 5 A* - C passes at GCSE.
- 5 or more GCSE passes can increase wages by 42%.
- 75% of pupils with 95% attendance or more achieve 5 A* - C grades at GCSE.
- Of pupils with less than 90% attendance only 25% achieve 5 A*-C grades at GCSE.
- Schools are open 195 days a year that leaves 170 other dates for leisure time.
- A child on holiday for 2 weeks during term time will miss 50 one hour lessons. Some never catch up.
- Being late 10 minutes each day for one year is equal to missing approximately 6 school days.
To contact the Attendance Team directly please use the following email address Absence@sheffieldparkacademy.org