In addition to our commitment to providing an Education with Character, we also vow to give rich and sustained opportunities to develop cultural capital.
Cultural capital is the accrual of information, behaviours, and skills that a student can draw upon which demonstrates their cultural awareness, knowledge, intellectual skills and competence; it is one of the key ingredients a student will draw upon to be successful in society, their career and the world of work.
Cultural capital is acquired over time; experiences accessed earlier in school life are revisited in depth with the aim to offer regular new opportunities.
Examples of opportunities include:
• Museum visits
• Tours of historical sites
• Discussions on global issues
• Sporting activities
• Visits to sites of outstanding natural beauty and specific scientific interest
• Musical and theatrical experiences
• Supporting the local community (Y7 reading scheme, links with retirement homes and pensioners pen pal scheme).