At Sheffield Park Academy we recognise that the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of students plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve. Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Education (SMSC) is delivered in all curriculum areas and in every aspect of Academy life.
SMSC Education is broadly split into four areas:
Spiritual: exploring beliefs and experiences; respecting values; discovering oneself and the surrounding world; using imagination and creativity; reflection.
Moral: recognising right and wrong; understanding consequences; investigating moral and ethical issues; offering reasoned views.
Social: using social skills in different contexts; working well with others; resolving conflicts; understanding how communities work.
Cultural: appreciating cultural influences; participating in cultural opportunities; understanding, accepting, respecting and celebrating diversity.
Sheffield Park Academy promotes SMSC development of our students through a variety of ways including:
- the provision of a broadly balanced and rich curriculum. Within this, teachers strive to promote opportunities whereby students are encouraged to engage with the wider world, and consider and question their place within it,
- the delivery of a PSHE and Citizenship programme (see separate page) which enables students to discuss issues that arise in situations beyond academic and vocational study,
- a varied assembly and weekly Thought for the Week programme through which teachers and visitors discuss topics that help students reflect upon themes that are important in the wider world today,
- an extensive extra-curricular programme that includes sporting, academic, musical and cultural opportunities.
Links with the Wider Community
Links with local places of worship are fostered.
- Visits to places of worship of other faiths will be arranged to support the understanding of different cultures.
- The Academy supports the work of a variety of charities.
- The development of a strong home-school agreement that enables parents and teachers to work in an effective partnership to support students.
- Students will be taught to appreciate and take responsibility for their local environment.
- Liaison with local primary and secondary schools to support and enhance the curriculum.
The following link will allow you to view how SMSC is mapped across our curriculum. www.gridmaker.net/sheffpark Password: sheffieldpark-guest